Last night for dinner I made some stuffed peppers. I’ve never made stuffed peppers with a red sauce before, only a creamy chicken sauce. This was fantastic & I’ll definitely make it again!
Serves 2 people (2 peppers)~ Ingredients
- Rice 1 c. prepared as per instructions on the box (I use chicken broth instead of water for more flavor)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 1/2- 2 c. raw sliced mushrooms
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- olive oil (to saute)
- 1/4 lb ground turkey, beef, or sausage
- 1/2 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (or homemade)
- 2 large bell peppers with a flat bottom
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
Cut off the tops of the bell peppers & de-vein & de-seed them. In a small stock pot, get water boiling (enough to cover a bell pepper). Once the water is boiling, put one pepper at at a time into the boiling ‘bath.’ Boil for approx 2 min until the veggie is a little bit softer to the touch… I think the word is “blanched” 🙂 Remove & turn upside down on a paper towel to let all of the water drain off.
Prepare rice as per package instructions. I like to use chicken broth in place of the water to add more flavor.
Saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in olive olive till softened. Remove from pan. Add the meat to the pan & fry until cooked through. Drain off grease. In the same large pan, add veggies back, stir in the (already cooked) rice, and the 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce. Warm all of the ingredients through.
Turn the peppers right side up & stuff with the rice/meat mixture. Top with grated parm cheese & bake in a 350 oven for approx 20 minute or until cheese melts & peppers are warmed through. Serve & enjoy!