My good friend Lauren made us this salad a few weeks after she had a baby. Yep, you read that right. She had a baby & she made US dinner 🙂 I did bring some cake balls over though… so that’s fair right?
Either way, we had the meal at their place over a year ago and for some reason last week I had one of those “food memories.” You know, the kind that just brings you back to that spot, tasting the yumminess of the food? I immediately called Lauren & found out what was ‘in the mix.’ The end result was both delish & nutrish 🙂 I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- a few tsp of water if necessary to incorporate the seasonings
- Romaine lettuce
- Tomatoes (sweeter the better!)
- Shredded cheese (Jack, sharp cheddar etc)
- black olives (optional)
- a handful of tortilla chips, crunched up
Dressing Ingredients: (combine until a drizzle consistency ~ salsa 2 parts to 1 part SC)
- Salsa! We used a roasted version, HEB brand and it was terrific (picante is also great)
- Sour cream (we used the 2% variety)
Brown ground turkey together with cumin. Add in the onions & cook till translucent. Add in the tabasco, corn, and black beans till warmed through.
To prepare salad. Layer on a plate: Chips, lettuce, veggie toppings (avocado, tomatoes, etc.), top with meat/corn/bean mixture. Sprinkle on shredded cheese. Drizzle with the sour cream salsa mixture. Top with a few more crunched up chips. ENJOY!
Look @ all of the awesome colors in this salad. Super filling too! It makes a TON of left overs 🙂