I love comfort food. Living in cold weather (e.g., WI & OH) always makes me crave comfort food more than living in warmer climates (e.g., ATX!). Enter stuffed peppers. I love this dish b/c it’s so versatile. You can make it with ground turkey/beef/sausage etc. with a red sauce OR with chicken/poultry with a creamy sauce. It’s more about the method than anything else.
pictured before baking
- 6 bell peppers with flat bottoms
- 1-2 chicken breasts, poached & shredded (OR a store bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1 package baby bellas, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 c. prepared rice (long grain is what we prefer)
- 1 package low fat cream cheese
- 1 small container low fat sour cream
- 1 tsp italian seasonings (e.g., basil, oregano etc.) OR… lemon pepper!! YUM!
- 1 package shredded Parmesan cheese (8oz approx) (I grated the cheese used here from a block of parm)
Optional ingredients: cream of mushroom soup, milk, chicken stock
- Prepare the green peppers… Cut off the tops & pull out the seeds. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Parboil the peppers for approx 1-2 minutes then drop them into a colander & run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside & let cool down.
- Cook onions & mushrooms in a bit of olive oil.
- Cook rice.
- Cook chicken.
- Combine all ingredients except the bell peppers. Add liquids (e.g., milk, sour cream etc.) until the consistency is creamy 🙂
- Stuff peppers with mushroom/rice mixture & top with parm cheese.
- Bake at 350 for approx 20 minutes till mixture is warm & cheese is bubbly.