Yep. These are just as amazing as they sound!!
So, this morning before church Steve was trying to pound out some of the painting in our newly finished “lower level” spare bedroom. (note. Pictures forthcoming when carpet is installed & furniture set up). I’ve started to call our basement the lower level. It just sounds cooler. Plus, it’s kind of true. It’s a walk out… so really, it doesn’t FEEL like a basement per se. Plus, it has windows (4 to be exact) and a door way outside. Anyway!
I wanted to make him something yummy to grab & go on our way to church. I was scanning through my google reader looking for some yummy scone or muffin recipes. Nothing was jumping out at me. So I opened the fridge… what to make what to make. And then I saw it, APPLE BUTTER! It has been sitting in our fridge for some time now and it looked a bit lonely. It was time to give the apple butter some TLC 🙂 I googled apple butter muffins, made some minor modifications & these puppies were born!
I will definitely make them again. They are sort of fluffy, sort of chewy… and entirely delish!
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple butter (I used this brand) Additionally, I didn’t “scoop out” 1/2 c. see notes below…
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. old fashion oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cold butter
Preheat oven to 400. Line a muffin tin with liners (I would not skip this step for these particular muffins or you’ll have a mess on your hands…)
In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (through ginger).
In a separate bowl, combine the egg, oil, and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients & stir until just combined. Do not over mix!
Put a large Tbsp full of the batter into each muffin cup. Tap the pan to get the batter to cover the bottom of the muffin liner. Then add a Tbsp of applebutter to each muffin. Top with the remaining batter.
Combine topping ingredients (I do this with my fingers) until they resemble coarse meal (like apple crisp!) and then sprinkle each muffin with some topping mixture. I would press the topping into the batter to help it stick as it bakes up.
Bake for 15-18 minutes (I think my oven took 17 min in a dark pan). The tops of the muffins were still light when I pull the out, but the tops sprung back easily.
A few notes…
- You definitely want to use liners b/c the apple butter can sort of ‘leak out’ of the batter and stick to the side of the liner. I can’t imagine how challenging it might be to get that off of the side of the muffin cups w/o a liner!
- I did have some of the topping “fall off” of the muffins during baking AND some of the apple butter creep up and spill out on to the tin. Not to worry, they muffins still taste amazing 🙂
- I pulled these out of the tin immediately after I removed them from the oven & placed them on a cooling rack.
- The original recipe called for a topping of regular sugar & pecans…which could also be a good combo.
- One more random side note… I bought organic applebutter b/c all of the other commercially processed brands use high fructose corn syrup… yuck. This one is pure yumminess! Ingredients; ORGANIC APPLES, ORGANIC APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE.
ps. the iphone has made me lazy. It’s so much easier to take pictures with it and then just email them to myself than use the ‘nice camera’ and upload them to the lap top. Laziness = less than ideal photos. sorry!