I posted this picture on FB last night and got a few requests for the recipe… so here goes! I didn’t measure everything when I was making it…so the measurements below are my best guess 🙂
- 2.5 lbs ground beef (or combination of pork & beef)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese (I used the grated kind)
- 1/2-3/4 c. bread crumbs (I used unseasoned)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp brown mustard
- 24 fresh mozzarella balls (I bought the kind that were soaked in oil & herbs…there were 24, I believe at .5oz each). You can also by fresh mozz in regular size quantities and just cut it to fit.
- salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste
Preheat oven to 350 & spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
Dump all ingredients (except the fresh mozzarella) into a large bowl and combine with hands until ingredients are just fully incorporated. Don’t over mix or the meat will get tough.
Grab a cookie dough sized chunk of meat, roll into a ball, and then flatten in your hand. The diameter of the circle will be approximately 2.5inches when flattened. Put a ball of fresh mozzarella in the middle of the meat and then roll the meat around the ball and seal with your fingers.
Place the meatballs into mini muffin tin (thanks for the tip Alton Brown!!). My meatballs went way up over the tin, as seen in the photo. Bake at 350 for approx 20 min till meat is cooked. My cheese seeped out as you can see… but it was still yummy 🙂 and the mini muffin tin kept the cheese somewhat contained.
Serve on crusty bread with marinara sauce for dipping.