My mom used to make beef stew when I was younger. Confession: I couldn’t stand it. I think it was the color or perhaps the texture.
But now, well now is a different story. LOVE it. So warm, comforting, homey, and just plain soothing to the soul. Oh, and did I mention easy?
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (cut into pieces)
- 15-20 baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 3-4 pieces each
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 potatoes (I didn’t peel these, but perhaps I should have?), quartered and roughly chopped
- 1 onion quartered and pieces separated
- 1.5 c. beef broth (or chicken broth, that’s what I used)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Flour & oil
First, separate all meat pieces and toss with approx 1/4 c. flour.
Heat oil in a fry pan and add the coated meat to the pan. Brown for a few minutes on all sides.
Put the meat and the rest of the ingredients in the crock pot on low for approx 8-10 hours. Our seemed cooked at 8 hours so we decided to eat! 🙂 Sealing the meat ahead of time seems to make all the difference to me. It’s worth the extra step.