Steve recently discovered he had some gluten sensitivities. As a result, our family is now embarking on a new adventure of the gluten free variety. While I’m fairly familiar with gluten free cooking… (and familiar with naturally gluten free foods), I am SO NOT prepared for gluten free baking. We shall see how this all goes! Let’s just say I will definitely still be baking with wheat b/c I’m not sure the Pax and I can give up “regular” bread 🙂
I originally wanted to make this dish with quinoa, but sadly, I was out! Enter brown rice as a substitute.
- 1 c. dry brown rice (I would have preferred wild rice in this dish if possible)
- 1/4 c. craisins
- 1/4 c. golden raisins
- 1/2 c. pecans, lightly toasted (I toasted these in a dry fry pan for a few minutes watching constantly)
- 1 can organic chick peas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 c. organic frozen peas, thawed
- 2 organic green onions, diced
- 1 organic apple, diced, (I left the skin on)
Cook rice as per package instructions. It usually takes about 40-50 minutes. Cool. Toss all remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
Top with the dressing below & chill.
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
Whisk ingredients together. Pour 1/2 dressing mixture on the dish and chill. Immediately before serving add some of the remaining dressing until it seems like it’s the right amount. Enjoy!!