One of the things that’s most intimidating about eating gluten free is having people over for dinner. In the past I usually made some kind of pasta dish when friends came over…especially friends with kids. Because, let’s be honest, it’s easy, cheap, and likeable. 🙂
As I mentioned in a previous post, we just got a grill which makes gfree entertaining much MUCH easier. But I still want to have a few dishes in my wheel house that would work for a quick night time get together. THIS dish- it fits the bill.
I based the recipe off this one… and made some yummy changes 🙂
- 1 vdalia or yellow onion, finely sliced
- olive oil
- 2 cups cubed or shredded chicken (I baked a whole chicken & used about 1/2 of it for this dish… a mixture of white & dark meat)
- 1 jar green chili salsa (I used the central market brand from ATX)
- 1 8 oz container full fat sour cream (I used daisy brand)
- 2 cans black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (freshly chopped)
- 2 avocados (pitted & sliced)
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 2 c. freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- Cherry tomatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350. In a large pan,combined the sliced onions & olive oil. Saute over medium heat until onions are brown/caramelized.
While the onions are working, combine the chicken, black beans, sour cream, and salsa. Warm through.
Take a 9×13 baking pan. Rip up 1/2 the tortillas into bite sized pieces and spread out along the bottom. Layer 1/2 chicken/bean mixture. Next add the onions and then the avocado. Layer on the remaining tortilla pieces, then the chicken mixture. Top with the 2 c. shredded cheddar and then the black olives.
Bake @ 350 for 30 min. Remove from oven and top with tomatoes & chives. Serve with a dollop of sour cream as desired 🙂
Steve & I both loved this dish. It will go into our regular rotation. Pax was a fan of the chicken, tortillas and black olives ~ but didn’t like the avocados 🙂