So… Anne Burrell. LOVE this recipe. But my word. It was time consuming.
You know when you start a recipe and you need to finish it… (kinda like a movie that you start watching and you don’t really love, but you feel like you need to finish to see how it ends?) Yeah, that was this recipe. About mid way through I realized it was going to take me at least 4 hours to complete it. And about 3 of those hours were hands on.
I mean, I could tell it was going to be delicious. Still. It. TOOK. FOREVER.
That said, YUM. And double YUM because it was gfree. I think you could cut corners and make this dish come together quicker (pre-made spaghetti sauce, pre-cut frozen butternut squash, pre-cooked spinach, etc.). But honestly… I don’t think the depth of flavors would be quiet as good.
Verdict… Thanks Anne. It’s a keeper. We may not make it a lot, but I certainly will go through the hoopla again for the delectable flavors in this dish!
This photo does NOT do the dish justice.
- I added a layer of caramelized onions.
- I only used 1 package of mushrooms
- I only used 1 lb of ricotta
- I made the entire batch of meat sauce, but only used 1/2 in the dish. We’re freezing the rest.
- I topped with mozzarella cheese (not just parm)