In a large dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the large diced onions, butternut squash, sweet potato, apples. Sauté, string frequently, until onions start to brown a little bit (approx 5mins or so). Add in the cinnamon, salt, & pepper. Stir around 1 minute. Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook at a low boil until veggies are all softened and ready to be pureed (15 minutes or so for the size I cut). Puree with an immersion blender. Add in half & half till you reach desired thickness. Add in brown sugar to get desired sweetness.
We served these with cheddar & apple chicken sausage paninis (gfree bread for steve).
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 medium butternut squash (2-3lbs), peeled, seeded, & diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 2 granny smith apples (peeled & cored)
- cinnamon (approx 1-2 tsp)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth
- half & half ~ enough to thin the soup a bit (approx 1/4-1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Sour cream for topping